April 12, 2012
The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) today issued a position paper on “Electromagnetic and Radiofrequency Fields Effect on Human Health”, including wireless technologies and smart meters.
Today’s report on electromagnetic fields takes a strong stand that society must acknowledge the biological effects of electromagnetic fields, educate the population about the risks from wireless technologies, and develop safer technologies. The group, AAEM, is an international association of physicians and professionals that has been dedicated to expanding the knowledge of human health in relationship to the environment since 1965. They have been first to recognize many conditions, including Gulf War Syndrome, chemical sensitivity and the role of mold in the development of systemic illness.
In its new report, “Electromagnetic and Radiofrequency Fields Effect on Human Health”, AAEM is calling for:
1. An immediate caution on Smart Meter installation due to potentially harmful RF exposure.
2. Accommodation for health considerations regarding EMF and RF exposure, including exposure to wireless Smart Meter technology.
3. Independent studies to further understand the health effects from EMF and RF exposure.
4. Recognition that electromagnetic hypersensitivity is a growing problem worldwide.
5. Understanding and control of this electrical environmental bombardment for the protection of society.
6. Consideration and independent research regarding the quantum effects of EMF and RF on human health.
7. Use of safer technology, including for Smart Meters, such as hard-wiring, fiber optics or other non-harmful methods of data transmission.
The new position paper from the American Academy of Environmental Medicine comes on the heels of AAEM’s letter to the California Public Utilities Commission in January 2012.
12 Highlights from The Science
In the AAEM paper, “Electromagnetic and Radiofrequency Fields Effect on Human Health”, selected highlights of the science showing biological effects from electromagnetic fields included:
“Multiple studies correlate RF exposure with diseases such as cancer, neurological disease, reproductive disorders, immune dysfunction, and electromagnetic hypersensitivity.
“Many in vitro, in vivo and epidemiological studies demonstrate that significant harmful biological effects occur from non-thermal RF exposure and satisfy Hill’s criteria of causality.3
- “Genetic damage, reproductive defects, cancer, neurological degeneration and nervous system dysfunction, immune system dysfunction, cognitive effects, protein and peptide damage, kidney damage, and developmental effects have all been reported in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.
- “Genotoxic effects from RF exposure, including studies of non-thermal levels of exposure, consistently and specifically show chromosomal instability, altered gene expression, gene mutations, DNA fragmentation and DNA structural breaks.4-11
- “Genotoxic effects are documented to occur in neurons, blood lymphocytes, sperm, red blood cells, epithelial cells, hematopoietic tissue, lung cells and bone marrow. Adverse developmental effects due to non-thermal RF exposure have been shown with decreased litter size in mice from RF exposure well below safety standards.12
- “The fact that RF exposure causes neurological damage has been documented repeatedly. Increased blood-brain barrier permeability and oxidative damage, which are associated with brain cancer and neurodegenerative diseases, have been found.4,7,15-17
- “Changes associated with degenerative neurological diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) have been reported.4,10
- “Other neurological and cognitive disorders such as headaches, dizziness, tremors, decreased memory and attention, autonomic nervous system dysfunction, decreased reaction times, sleep disturbances and visual disruption have been reported to be statistically significant in multiple epidemiological studies with RF exposure occurring non-locally.18-21
- “Nephrotoxic effects from RF exposure also have been reported.
- “RF emissions have also been shown to cause isomeric changes in amino acids that can result in nephrotoxicity as well as hepatotoxicity.25
- “Electromagnetic field (EMF) hypersensitivity has been documented in controlled and double blind studies with exposure to various EMF frequencies.
- “Although these studies clearly show causality and disprove the claim that health effects from RF exposure are uncertain, there is another mechanism that proves electromagnetic frequencies, including radiofrequencies, can negatively impact human health. Government agencies and industry set safety standards based on the narrow scope of Newtonian or “classical” physics reasoning that the effects of atoms and molecules are confined in space and time. This model supports the theory that a mechanical force acts on a physical object and thus, long-range exposure to EMF and RF cannot have an impact on health if no significant heating occurs. However, this is an incomplete model. A quantum physics model is necessary to fully understand and appreciate how and why EMF and RF fields are harmful to humans.26,27”
The AAEM position paper concludes:
These EMF and RF quantum field effects have not been adequately studied and are not fully understood regarding human health. Because of the well documented studies showing adverse effects on health and the not fully understood quantum field effect, AAEM calls for exercising precaution with regard to EMF, RF and general frequency exposure. In an era of when all society relies on the benefits of electronics, we must find ideas and technologies that do not disturb bodily function.”
For over 50 years, the American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) has been studying and treating the effects of the environment on human health. AAEM co-sponsored ElectromagneticHealth.org’s program on the biological effects of electromagnetic fields at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco in 2010, along with Citizens for Health, and endorsed the book, “Public Health SOS: The Shadow Side of the Wireless Revolution”, sent to Congress in 2009, co-authored by Camilla Rees, MBA and Magda Havas, PhD.
AAEM Press Release
April 12, 2012
The American Academy of Environmental Medicine Calls for
Immediate Caution regarding Smart Meter Installation
Wichita, KS- The American Academy of Environmental Medicine today released its position paper on electromagnetic field (EMF) and radiofrequency (RF) health effects calling for immediate caution regarding smart meter installations. Citing several peer-reviewed scientific studies, the AAEM concludes that “significant harmful biological effects occur from non-thermal RF exposure” showing causality. The AAEM also expresses concern regarding significant, but poorly understood quantum field effects of EMF and RF fields on human health.
“More independent research is needed to assess the safety of ‘Smart Meter’ technology,” said Dr. Amy Dean, board certified internist and President-Elect of the AAEM. “Patients are reporting to physicians the development of symptoms and adverse health effects after ‘Smart Meters’ are installed on their homes. Immediate action is necessary to protect the public’s health.”
Dr. William J. Rea, past president of AAEM says, “Technological advances must be assessed for harmful effects in order to protect society from the ravages of end-stage disease like cancer, heart disease, brain dysfunction, respiratory distress, and fibromyalgia. EMF and wireless technology are the latest innovations to challenge the physician whose goal is to help patients and prevent disease.” Rae, a thoracic and cardiovascular surgeon and environmental physician adds, “A more thorough review of technological options to achieve society’s worthwhile communications objectives must be conducted to protect human health.”
The AAEM calls for:
- Immediate caution regarding “Smart Meter” installation due to potentially harmful RF exposure
- Accommodation for health considerations regarding EMF and RF exposure, including exposure to wireless “Smart Meter” technology
- Independent studies to further understand health effects from EMF and RF exposure
- Use of safer technology, including for “Smart Meters”, such as hard-wiring, fiber optics or other non-harmful methods of data transmission
- Independent studies to further understand the health effects from EMF and RF exposures
- Recognition that electromagnetic hypersensitivity is a growing problem worldwide
- Consideration and independent research regarding the quantum effects of EMF and RF on human health
- Understanding and control of this electrical environmental bombardment for the protection of society
The AAEM’s position paper on electromagnetic and radiofrequency fields can be found at:
AAEM is an international association of physicians and other professionals dedicated to addressing the clinical aspects of environmental health. More information is available at www.aaemonline.org.